Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's a bit late, but I'd like to offer an apology to Mr Joe Calzaghe.

I'm not a massive follower of the not-so-noble art of boxing but I was one of those who thought he was never quite of the highest calibre, a world champion for a long time but had never fought a big name, he beat Chris Eubank but Eubank was on the way down after a couple of beatings at the hands of Steve Collins.

Anyway, in my knackered and slightly hungover state on Sunday, I slumped in front of Tony's TV which just happened to be showing a re-run of Calzaghe's contest the previous evening against Jeff Lacy from the USA, who was unbeaten, a world champion with a different organisation and reputed to be a seriously hard puncher.

As I gradually emerged from my state of half-consciousness, I realised that I was witnessing the finest display of boxing I've ever seen from a British fighter. Dazzling footwork and blistering hand speed soon rendered Mr Lacy something of a wreck and the bell at the end of the fight must have come as a blessed relief to save him from further punishment. Calzaghe's accuracy was phenomenal and he was regularly landing flurries of eight or nine punches right on the button without response.

There's little pleasure to be gained from watching a man getting a serious hiding but seeing a highly trained athlete perform to the very highest standard was a joy. It was a truly magnificent display against a very dangerous opponent.

So I'm very glad to put the record straight and admit that I was totally wrong. Joe Calzaghe, you are top-class.

Last song on the iPod: Nirvana - Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam

No comments: