Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sir Menzies Campbell has won the Liberal Democrat leadership contest. If I'm honest, I'm a tiny bit disappointed. With the centre ground looking ever more crowded, I still believe there's a place for a genuinely radical third party in British politics and I'm not sure that the Lib Dems under Campbell will occupy that spot. I felt that Simon Hughes was the most likely to put issues such as transport, energy and the environment at the top of the agenda and engender real debate on these questions. With climate change happening right here, right now, there can surely be no justification for further delay.

Nevertheless, congratulations are due to the winner and if he and his new team can put together a raft of socially liberal ideas that combat inequality in all walks of life and also start to suggest ways in which we can generate a high proportion of energy from clean, renewable sources - then I'll strongly consider voting for them again next time round. My image in the office is that of the token namby-pamby, 'bleeding heart' non-meat-eating liberal lefty, an image I'm happy to play up to, albeit often with tongue in cheek. I did vote Lib Dem last time, although I should point out that that was partly due to a lack of a Green Party candidate in my constituency of Wells. Don't tell Mrs Momus but I'm hoping that by the next election, my constituency will be the Lib Dem stronghold of Bath!

No comments: